I have an itty-bitty backyard. We recently had two giant redwoods cut down....there was one in each corner of the small year. They were 50 years old and planted apparently when the house was first sold. One was rotten in the center and was dying...one good storm and it would have toppled. The other was pulling up our tiny patio and the roots were in our plumbing....so down they came. I posted photos of the workers scaling the tall trees 4 stories high...it was amazing! After the trees came down The Captain and I had the yard leveled and terraced. A small part was set aside for my cactus garden. So when the weather hit summer yesterday, (80 degrees!) I headed to Home Depot for cactus soil and thick gloves. I removed soil and then worked the cactus soil into the area. I whacked off the two large cactus and buttons off my barrel cactus out front. Then I walked the dog to the park and got a few starter pieces from there.
BEFORE
Then I added deocr....horse shoes, lava rock, horse skull and jaw, hummingbird feeder and rocks that we have collected on vacations over the years....all I have left is to add some small rocks that I plan to get from the soil and rock store next weekend.
Those nasturtiums wandered over from our neighbors...they will get to hang our until we decide what to plant there that doesn't take a lot of water.
Oh...and if you plan to transplant some cacti, keep some tweezers in your pocket.
*LIVSTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*PLANT YOURSELF SOME FUN*
7 comments:
Looks great! I'm jealous of your warm temps. :)
Oh wonderful! It looks great! I wish I were a gardener. I love pretty gardens, but not the work that goes into it. I do have a section of my yard that has a cacti in it, and it is really easy. They grow despite my brown thumb. Enjoy!
I love the use of rustic tools and the skeleton in your garden. If the cacti bloom, please post photos.
I have been resisting with Google chrome for the longest time too..
and nice landscape... you are definitely more at work than me... I would rather just sit back and read and watch movies.. :)
Looks great!
Cactus....i love them, but they are dangerous to work with. ;)
THis looks fabulous....such a nice transition. I even like the neighbors wanderer.
Marey, Marey, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
Post a Comment