Thursday, April 16, 2015

Cactus Garden and Lots of Misc...

I learned that some cacti grow really fast...how fast? So prickly fast that I had to take a shovel to the BIG ones and send the out to compost before they took over my garden...now I have this....
My biggest cactus that is chopped off in the back fell over during a big wind...I hope it survives. I have some succulents that I replanted there from the front yard because the raccoon and skunk won't leave them alone....along with grass that they are ripping up for grubs. Between those critters and the deer, my front yard doesn't stand a chance.

BUT...I did get a Scarecrow sprinkler to fend off my tomato plants and sunflowers in the backyard.....I cannot use it in the front yard BECAUSE some idiot has stolen the last 2.....the second one The Captain had run a cable around and locked it with a padlock...but apparently whomever is stealing them also owns bolt cutters.

Last spring I painted some pickets to build this little fence to hide the ugly house foundation....BUT with the way summer went, the little pickets sat painted and waiting in the corner of the bedroom. In September I took The Captain on one of his first trips out of the house to Home Depot to buy the long boards to put the pickets on.....one side got painted in October and the flip-side in February. Then last weekend The Captain got out the compressor and nail gun for the first time since before his near death adventures.....
It went well....the picket fence looks so cute....and the little old birdhouse I painted to match our house looks cute too.....and with a little luck, the sunflowers will grow tall enough to show through our bedroom window above.

Misc.....next weekend, April 27, for my birthday weekend, I will be participating in SWIM ACROSS AMERICA for my 3rd time....I have swam 3x since July...I may just SINK ACROSS AMERICA....I will be sure to update.

BEST OF ALL.....next week is finally my spring BREAK! Nothing like dragging it out until it is closer to summer than spring!


*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*SPRING BRREEEAAK!*

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Love the colorful pickets. I hear ya about that sprinkler. We couldn't put a spotlight in our yard at Christmas because somebody was stealing them. Vandals need to set their sights higher than that - do something worthwhile like graffiti an overpass. Just leave my yard alone.