Sunday, June 1, 2014

Are You My Mother?

One miracle duckling made it! There were a dozen eggs to begin with...one was not fertile and another stopped growing at day 1 or 2. The other 10 I kept in the incubator...and on Friday, day 30, one little guy had made a pip in his egg. Saturday morning he was not yet out when I checked...but when I returned to school again on Saturday night....he was out!! I brought him and the brooder home. He chirped and the dog was worried...she kept staring at the duckling. So I let her see him....just like the rats she licked and licked the tiny guy. Then back in the brooder he went and we went downstairs. The duckling would chirp and the dog would whine at me....I kept reassuring her it was okay. A bit later it was quiet...then The Captain went upstairs and called me to "come quick!!"
Apparently the dog had had it with my lack of parenting...she put her head in the brooder and carefully took the duckling out. When the dog saw The Captain, she kind of looked guilty and the duckling toddled out from her chest, between her paws as she had been licking the little guy!


The dog loves the rats....I have to open the cage so she can put her head in and kiss them. She is such a mommy! She and I took the brooder to school tonight so I can ride my bike to work tomorrow...and she was not happy when I closed the classroom door.

The duckling's foot was splayed....the feet must have been developing when the power went out. It looked better this afternoon and he was eating, but I think that foot kept him from hatching sooner. No pips in any of the other eggs but I did leave them in the incubator. It is not likely though as tomorrow is day 33...25 is the usual incubation time for ducklings. But I am grateful the kids have one miracle duckling!
*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*
LAUGH HARDER*QUACK QUACK*

3 comments:

Wendy said...

A.MA.ZING! That one hatched. That the dog is such a care-giver. I thought for sure when the Captain called you there was going to be a suspicious feather hanging from the dog's lips. What a happy ending.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, what a story that little fella could tell. I hope you have some more miracles from this.
I love how your pup is such a mother hen. :) SOOOOOOO sweet and nurturing. Keep us updated.
XO

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Oh my goodness! A miracle duckling and a mommy dog. So sweet. Your kids are going to be so happy, and I hope you tell them this story too. It just melts my heart! I'm still so mad about the power going out. But so thankful you have one for sure!