For Christmas, the parents in my class each pitched in $8 and got me a $200 VISA card. I have kept it in my wallet waiting for the right thing to come along.
Last week, my class field trip was a 2 mile walk to the the local public library. We had a tour before it was open to the public and while I was standing next to a giant ladybug bookshelf I happened to mention that I would LOVE one of those in my new classroom. I was sure the Captain could build one....but right now he desperately needs to finish the truck he is working on because this one car stuff is wearing on me. A mom was standing near me while I was drooling over the bookshelf....and on Friday she came to school with a $50 Home Depot gift card in hand with a note- "We hope you can use this to start your ladybug book shelf this summer."
Now The Captain is going to kill me....so I went online and found the ladybug book shelves for sale- $1,300!!!! (And $455 shipping!! AND $60 if you are not able to help unload the box from the freight delivery truck!!!) That is mortgage, tuition, food, gas....not a ladybug bookshelf! So I googled ladybug bookcase images and found one...I clicked on the link and it took me to a Dan's 2nd Hand in.....get this- Colorado Springs!!! Well, who has a son at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs?? So I got in touch with Dan himself- it was still available...then I woke up the boy at 11 and sent him right on over to check it out. If it was in good shape and could be taken apart then he was instructed to buy it- with my gift card!!! There are side shelves missing but I would have had to remove them on one side because it will need to go against the wall in my new rat trap of a classroom...I am so excited!! I swear my kids and husband think I am nuts but wouldn't you really, really love to read a book taken off this bookshelf?
*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*WHAT WERE THE CHANCES OF FINDING ONE OF THESE?*
*Seriously for the first 20 years of my teaching I worked in schools where there were no Christmas gift cards- no PTA money to use in the classroom- E.V.E.R.Y.H.I.N.G I purchased to use in class came right out of my pocket. I never knew there were places like this...so I am enjoying every second of it before I retire!!!
4 comments:
So cute! The kids are going to have a lot of fun with that.
Happy Sunday.
Oh goodness that is so dang cute! Dimensions please...so I can fantasize about it making it and putting it in my classroom!
You bet I would love to have something like this to put my books on. I'm glad to read how appreciative and helpful the parents are to you.
:-)
A bargain!
Post a Comment