Sunday, August 18, 2013

9-11

The Captain and I had a blast in NYC. We had an amazing hotel right over the 9-11 Memorial. In fact, it was the only place we could see Ground Zero. When I booked the hotel on Priceline, (Yep, name your price,) I knew which hotel it was before we paid for it because of the description. Our room overlooked the sight and we could see the people lined up to get into the park and view the reflecting pools. But it wasn't until I was actually down there that it hit me. People on this very spot jumped from the inferno... out the blown out windows, to their death. It was a choice- burn to death or jump- holding the hand of someone they knew- or didn't know until that moment. The very spot where terrorists crashed planes full of innocent people.


Although it was almost 12 years ago I vividly remember listening to the radio that morning as I was lying in bed. When I heard the news I jumped up, switched on the TV...and then the second hit. I woke up my children and had them come down. The Captain was on his way to work. I didn't want to send my kids to school...I didn't want to go to work...but I tried to keep things as normal as possible. That day the kindergartners didn't know much about what had happened. As I worked parents filled me in on other flights that were off course and eventually of what had happened. All flights were ordered to the closest airports....it was eerie at recess with no planes overhead...my school was right under the flight path...so we were used to the noise of planes coming and going from SFO.

The next day children were talking....we were told to keep things normal and try not to let the younger kids discuss what had happened. Our school and community seemed to unite that first week. Flags were flown and cars and had decals and USA!! stickers on them. Fire trucks flew the American Flag on board and wore NYFD on their sleeves.

On the first anniversary of 9-11, Daughter #1 was in the hospital with a cancer diagnosis. I bought little flags for every child on the cancer wing's IV/med pumps. I hung a full size flag from her window which overlooked the hospital parking garage. Again our community was united. I didn't think about the people who jumped, or the little children who were born and would never know their fathers...I just kept going.

But yesterday, I had a hard time sleeping. I kept thinking that right there, where I had walked, people died....LOTS of people. And it wasn't an accident- or mother nature, or a freak happening...it was on purpose. 3,000 people were murdered. I am happy there is a memorial there...but I am unhappy that the entire thing happened and we have a reason to have that memorial. I am sure my father felt that way when he returned to the places he was actively fighting in during WWII. So very sad.

On a happier note, Amtrak was only 1 hour behind today and we are at

Viagara Niagara Falls!

This is the Canadian side from our hotel room!

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*DON'T GO OVER IN A BARREL*

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Does that little church still have all the memorials? I could hardly drag myself away -- I wanted to read every note. It was a very emotional experience, and I usually don't get caught up in the emotion of historical events.

And in more pleasant news, the falls really are beautiful! It used to be THE place for honeymoons. Does anyone go there anymore on their honeymoon, or does everyone prefer the Caribbean?

Busy Bee Suz said...

9/11 marred our history can changed us all. So sad. I don't know how I would feel being there either, probably very down like you.
I've never been to Viagara falls!!!!!
XO