Monday, May 19, 2014

Copper

Two times in as many months the copper wire has been stolen from the school I work at...and before stealing it, the thieves turn off the power...so they don't electrocute themselves. In doing so, at 1:28 this morning, they not only stole copper wire, but they stole the joy from my 25 students who were incubating a dozen duck eggs.


When I opened my classroom at 6:35 this morning, the eggs were stone cold. I quickly called The Captain, who zoomed up to school, rescued the incubator, duck eggs and all and went home to plug them in. Soon he had the temperature up and the humidity correctly adjusted.


I texted a parent to have her Google duck egg care. She found some info but then called an emergency vet clinic and asked questions. She was told to candle the eggs and see if there was movement. But at 17 days along, I generally don't see movement. She was told there is a possibility they made have survived. So we will try. I candled the eggs tonight and discarded 2 eggs. One was fertile but never developed and the other had stopped developing early on...neither had to do with lack of warmth and humidity today. I will candle the eggs again this weekend and see if they have grown.


So sad that a few crack-heads looking for drug money cause $10,000 in damage to the school and ruin an experience for students. The kindergartners also had chick eggs in an incubator. What our school could have done with the $15,000 to repair the stolen copper wire two times is shameful!

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*THINK DUCKLINGS* 

3 comments:

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Oh that makes me so mad and so sad. Of all places to vandalize. I'll think positive thoughts about your duckies.
After numerous break ins we finally installed alarms in the main building and an after hours security guard. So frustrating that what little money we have has to be spent on just keeping the school safe.

Wendy said...

I'm sad to read this. Crack-heads don't care who is hurt. Your post puts a face on who is ultimately hurt by such illegal activity.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, that makes me so sad for everyone involved. Crossing my fingers that your eggs make it.