Friday, July 6, 2012

Emu?

So the Captain and I rode our bikes 12 miles up the old Lincoln Hwy- the old main highway which is now Interstate 80. It was all uphill heading towards Evanston, Wyoming. The historical societies have done a wonderful job posting signs with information about the history of the area. On the way home we were bucking a headwind...I had my head down wishing I were closer to home when I heard the Captain say, "Is that an ostrich?"

I looked up to find a BIG bird crossing the highway about 100 yards ahead! Then it went down in the grassy area and hunted for food. Where this bird came from is a mystery...this area gets way below zero in winter and in the 100's lately. And there are no homes up that canyon...there's a few areas where sheep are summering at higher elevations and some dry farms but this are is otherwise wilderness.

I took a few pictures with my cell phone but it was too far away to see well. We told everyone about it when we returned and we got some funny looks....sure it wasn't just a large crane?

No- this was an emu...3 1/2 to 4 feet tall.

Then this morning I was hiking the dog down to the river and neighbor came by on a 4 wheeler asking if I had seen the emu when I was at the post office yesterday. Turns out the bird was on the tracks...when a train was coming and they couldn't get it to move. So much for the emu in the ghost town.

LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*TRACK AN EMU*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your vacation with The Captain sounds amazing and adventurous. I love it! You are making me want to visit Wyoming and Utah.
Any plans on coming to NYC? Let me know if you will be around on the east coast.

Unknown said...

Been to WY several times but never saw it by bike. How awesome!

Wendy said...

Now see -- if you had left five minutes earlier or five minutes later, you'd have missed that. Isn't life grand? Whodathunk ~