Friday I swam very early and then headed to hang up art- tons of Pre K, kindergarten and first grade art in the halls of the convention center. I love getting ideas for my classroom from the creative teachers. Then a quick change, little spaghetti for dinner and I was a greeter in the lobby until my students started to arrive around 6:15. At 7:00 we gathered on a little stage in front of parents, committee members and teachers and sang two songs and recited a poem with gestures. Singing a cappella isn't easy with kids because some want to sing ahead of the others and some want to shout so their voice's heard over the others...we had practiced and discussed what the songs should sound like...AND those little first graders shined! Immediately following was a group of first graders and kindergartners from a private local school and then ART activities galore at tables in the adjoining room. Kids, siblings and parents created projects and took home some amazing pieces. when it was time to leave people were still gathered around tables so we know it was enjoyed by everyone.
Then clean up and to the Presidential Suite for a potluck. I stayed briefly as I don't like to drink wine and I was going back to my room to relax and enjoy my time ALONE :)
Saturday I was up at 6:00 to go for a run before my 7:30 duties....I found a path behind the hotel which ran alongside the new 49ers stadium which is being constructed...it looked so pretty in the early light that I had to stop and snap a photo on my cell...
Then a quick shower and I worked hospitality and re-hung artwork that was in the art room the night before. Then the fun began- I was a greeter for the first session in Ashley Wolfe's workshop. For those of you non-teachers she is an author and known for the illustrating the pictures in the Ms. Bindergarten books. I talked to her about seriously co-writing a teacher's book on how to use her books in the classroom...I have to follow through on that as it would be a great seller.
Then lunch- a quick snack of cheese and crackers and an apple in my room I actually had a duty free hour! Then to two more workshops and a meeting and then The Captain came over for the evening and we went to dinner.
I was getting ready to run Sunday morning when I got a call to come help with the breakfast...so afterwards The Captain and I loaded up the car and checked out of the room. He took all my stuff home...even though I packed lightly- a black skirt and leggings for every day and just changing the shirt- I still had a ton of stuff. Not only the large papers with words for the songs but everything has a charge and cords that don't like to work with each other- phone, laptop, iPod, hands free device- it would be so easy if they would all just get along!!
Sunday's keynote speaker was awesome. Jim Gill is a musician who really knows kids. After his session I was assigned to work at his booth for two+ hours. The table was swamped but fortunately I put my items aside and to my surprise he gave me all 9 items for working the booth!! $128 worth of books and CD's!! I am so lucky!
Then I was a greeter for the last two sessions and the conference was over. The only disappointing factor was that the 49er play off game was happening...and I don't have a smart phone and I didn't get internet in the conference center...so I had to rely on Daughter #1's frantic texts giving fragmented details. FINALLY the text came in that they WON! after being so far behind in the beginning.
Then the mad dash through the lobby collecting my artwork and piling it into a box...and carrying another box with my laptop bag and books and CD's in hand...I made my way to the bar to wait for The Captain to pick me up. I sat with other attendees who said this was one of the best conferences they attended. That made me feel good because so much planning goes into this- as soon as it is over we are planning for next year's conference.
So this morning I just stayed in bed for a while...and other than swimming I just think I will be lazy.
LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*ENJOY MONDAY*

5 comments:
I think you need a whole week off!
Wow, sounds like a great weekend. I love going to conferences that are inspiring and invigorate my teaching. Too bad with all of our budget cuts, there's no $$ to send us to conferences anymore. Which is a shame. I'm glad to hear that yours was still very well attended.
Whew! I'm tired just from reading this! ;)
I'm glad you had such a great time, and I hope you had your lazy day today. :)
Wow. You are such a ball of energy! I'm so glad all your hard work paid off; kudos to you and the others who pulled it off!
I felt like I was running with you! But a good conference is so rewarding. The only problem is now you have to plan an even better one. I hope to hear you've started that book!
Now you are classified as "the busybody"
Just kidding :-)
But then its always good to be on the toes in life.
Post a Comment