Tuesday, July 9, 2013

And the trees, came tumblin' down....

Well, not exactly tumbling, but down.


We have a very tiny yard. When we bought this house 27 years ago, there were two redwoods- one in each corner of our tiny backyard. We had an arborist come by and check them out to see if they were healthy as the leaves were a little reddish. He assured us the trees were healthy BUT he said, "these will become very BIG trees."


We were happy with the healthy part, and as for the large part, who cares- we weren't going to live here very long anyway. 27 years later, the trees towered over our house. The branches dragged along the siding and rain gutters and made creepy noises- especially when you were home alone. Then the roots began to grow into our septic system and then roots decided to push over the very expensive retaining wall and pull up the brick patio we so carefully laid out with the help of our children so long ago. It was time.

When the first tree came down I counted the rings. 50. Planted when the house was pretty much just built....but in one part near the center and right side, there was a dark spongy circle...that I was told was decay. This tree was dead! Thankfully we did cut this down because one big storm and the tree could have landed on our house or even worse, our neighbor's. The next tree was healthy and that was the one with the gigantic root system. Our bedroom is now filled with light and we could see the stars last night. I can't wait for the next full moon!



The workers also trimmed our avocado tree. And the Japanese Maple on our little waterfall pond. And they clipped shrubs and took out the branches of our neighbor's tree that was overhanging our driveway so much that it was in the power lines and made it so I couldn't drive the U-Haul into our driveway to unload. We were able to cut back our wisteria and put the clippings into the worker's truck. We got so much done and the workers were incredibly nice.

And we are so happy with the little yard now that we can't wait to redo it with a vegetable garden and relay the brick patio....oh- and with the permit to remove the trees we are required to plant one approved tree....I am going for 3....a lemon, plum and avocado!

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*HAVE SOME MAJOR TREE
TUMBLING DONE TO MAKE
YOURSELF A HAPPY LITTLE YARD*



5 comments:

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Oh big trees are a lot of work to remove. I'm glad it went successfully. I like the 3 trees your are replacing them with too. 50 rings? Wow!

Wendy said...

We planted 3 baby trees many years ago because the afternoon sun was unbearable in our house. At the time, the trees felt like they were far away. Now they're on top of us. We hired an arborist last year to trim back some branches and that really helped. So I know how you feel!

Dana said...

I would love to have an avocado tree. I could eat avocados every day—love them!

Cindy Dwyer said...

What fun to redesign your yard!

Busy Bee Suz said...

You know I hate to see a tree taken down, but this was needed. Good for you guys. You have a NEW yard!!!
I want pictures of your new trees. :)
XO