Friday, July 19, 2013

HALF DOME II

 
All but me at the trail head.

We left the trail head parking lot at 10:10...p.m. We hiked throughout the night under the pitch black sky covered with millions of stars. The waxing half moon had long set and it was just us on the trail....and the critters that Daughter #2 spotted: a scorpion, a millipede, a white frog, ants (yes a night!) and a deer...which was my joke "Look! A deer in the headlamps!" A ranger in the parking lot told us that there has been a lot of bear activity but we did not see any...although I am sure they saw us.

The hike was easier than last year as I was fresh- I didn't ride 62 miles that day, so I wasn't left in the dust when we took off....although one of our friends was rather slow. We did not get our hour's nap before the ascent.

The sky was just beginning to light up as we got to the saddle.

This was The Captain's first time and after climbing the 800+ granite stairs to the saddle where you get your first glimpse of the cables, he saw what I had described and our friend said, "I can't do that!" But after a short rest and a drink of water and seeing daughter #1 say, "I going," and then scamper right up to the top he was willing to try. I followed Daughter #1 and Daughter #2 who is afraid of heights was right behind me. This time I self assured and ready for the adventure. I was able to take in the views and not panic but your life is literally in your own hands...you let go and it is a L>O>N>G way to the bottom. I wore my Garmin and timed the climb...15 minutes! It is a 30 minute average ascent so I felt good about that. I did not fear my hands or feet slipping this time so I was able to enjoy the view....last time I kept thinking, "If I fall from here I am dead" and then as I neared the bottom I thought, "Well if I fall from here I wouldn't die but I'd be really messed up." This time it was all fun!




 
The Captain and our friend making it to the top.


See that little spot on the mountain? Below that is the parking lot where we have to hike to!




Here comes the sun!

Last time I did not venture out to the famous ledge to take a photo...but this time when Daughter #1 headed out to do so, and The Captain, I knew I had to....

 


 If you slip it is an 8,830' drop to the valley floor.

You can tell that my daughter is much braver than her mom and dad....check out where she is standing and where we are! She is a rock climber and much more comfortable on the edge of the world.

We had a wonderful time and I hope I am lucky enough to get permits in the next lottery to climb again....and next time there will be time for a nap on the trail!
 

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER
*LAUGH HARDER*CLIMB THE CABLES AND STAND ON THE EDGE*CARPE DIEM*







9 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Oh my holy hell!! Just LOOKING at those pictures literally gave me palpitations!!

Congrats on such an awesome accomplishment. =)

Cindy Dwyer said...

Beautiful photos. And if the bears didn't actually SEE you, it was only because they heard you coming and got out of there!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Wow wow wow! Amazing photos. I'm not afraid of heights, but those ledge pictures gave me goosebumps. I'm glad it was a more relaxing trip than last time.

Dana said...

What breathtaking views! I admire you all: There's no way I could do that—I'm terrified of heights.

I hope you're having a great (and adventurous!) weekend. ☺

Survivormama said...

Holy Heights...wow, great job and awesome pictures! Glad you survived to talk about it!

Shannon at I Survived and Now I Run

Busy Bee Suz said...

Seeing those photos at the end....gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. I am really afraid of heights!
Congrats to you all for this amazing feat!

Anonymous said...

When are you coming to NYC? I got your message on my blog about that...but I hardly read, check and write on blogs anymore....email me at missgingie@gmail.com.

I would love to see you.. :)

Magnolia Girl

Wendy said...

My stomach does flips just looking at the photos!

Gberger said...

Oh my golly...oh goodness. You are all braver than I am. Well done!