Daughter #2 is moving back to N. Zed as they call it down there...she returned from New Zealand via five months in 9 countries in Southeast Asia and has worked since last December saving her money and jumping through all the hoops to get her VISA. She successfully completed an internship in her field at Filoli Mansion and is ready for her next adventures which may include her masters.
Both girls held a rummage sale last weekend to sell all the "stuff" they no longer need. With their help, I also cleared out cupboards, closets and the garage of stuff I "no longer need."
Years ago when I would help my mom clean up I would say, "MOM- YOU DON'T NEED THIS ANYMORE....IT JUST COLLECTS DUST AND TAKES UP ROOM!!!"
I couldn't understand why that faded piece of whatever was so difficult to put in the Goodwill bag or trash.....I WILL NEVER BE LIKE THAT WHEN I GROW UP!
Famous last words...duh!
I don't need the Toy Story and Incredible wash cloths...I have plenty that match the bathroom towels and seriously...why? But I will save them in the rag bag....or maybe just one for the grandkids I hope to have one day...or for cleaning the dog's paws after a muddy walk....or...or...oh for heaven's sakes...put them in the Goodwill bag!
I have been on a roll here. A coach for Stanford will be staying in Daughter # 1's old room...he will arrive in a few days and The Captain has been busy prepping the room...which included a new vanity and baseboards and a paint job in the bathroom and patching the nail holes in the baseboards (that weren't done 10 years ago when put in,) and sanding the medicine chest because there was a speck of rust on the bottom...
...and Daughter #2 keeps finding another something we need to organize or toss or shred...like all the bank statements from 2002....and wait....
*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*CLEAN UP YOUR HOUSE
YOU'RE NOT GOING TO NEED
THAT ANY LONGER!*
5 comments:
You inspire me! I'm a sentimental pack rat. I need to get rid of some stuff, but I hold on to it for so many different sappy reasons. Ugh.
Oh, tell me about it. Inevitably whatever it is gets tossed and minutes later it's needed! Summer break is a good time for the cleaning though.
Big things for the daughters. How proud you must be.
Wow. Your girls are grown UP now!!!! Yikes.
I too have a hard time ridding myself of sentimental items....it's tough.
XO
PLEASE - come to my house! I need someone with that strength!
I know this comment is super late, but sadly I am that far behind reading blogs I follow. Sigh.
I've been trying to get my husband to clean out our closet. We need more room and I suspect I can convince him to get rid of a lot more of his clothes than I will want to part with of mine.
I suspect after 18 years of marriage he knows this, which is why he is avoiding the task...
Post a Comment