Saturday, July 27, 2013

Bag-mania!

So the county I live in has banned plastic bags. Seriously this does not bother me as I have been using canvas grocery totes since 1991. I have given many as gifts with my little children's hand prints on them and I have made special embroidered ones since I got my fancy sewing machine. I have been GREEN for a very long time.

Here's what bothers me. I used to get 5 cents for each bag I brought to the grocery store and filled with my groceries. My bags paid for themselves over and over throughout the years. But since this law passed, I no longer receive 5 cents- which really isn't the problem- the problem is that the stores now charge 10 cents for a paper bag. What was once a "service" provided by the store is now passed on as a cost to the consumer. Someone is pocketing the savings.

I have no problem with the law...it will eliminate bags flying around the freeway and from clogging storm drains and all the assorted problems but here's the catch. Fast food chains and restaurants may still "give" you a plastic bag....now around here that is what some people toss out of their window when they finish eating!! I have never seen anyone toss a grocery bag out of the car window because groceries usually get carried into the house in the grocery bags....and those plastic bags got reused for kids' lunches, picking up doggie doo or for cleaning the cat litter box.

So in this bill, the store gives the bag company 10 cents for the bag- which means they no longer have the cost of supplying bags to customers which is a savings to the store that is not passed to the customer. The 10 cents is supposedly sent by the bag company to the county for....??? I can't seem to get that info.

The interesting thing is that store like Home Depot- (ever see a contractor carry his personal tote into the store?) -what is happening there is the men just put everything into their cart after checking out, and push it to the lot and unload into their truck....and the parking lot is filled with carts that would normally not be there. Then yesterday I went to the mall with Daughter #2...I hadn't been there since before Christmas...and the thought of carrying my canvas bags into the mall never crossed my mind. When I purchased a shirt in Nordstrom...the clerk wrapped it in tissue and then handed it to me...and I put it in my backpack (purse) which was really odd. I guess I will have to start bringing canvas bags when shopping in the mall now....because you know, so many people tossed their Nordstrom and Macy's bags out the window on their way home from the mall.
*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER
*LAUGH HARDER*BYO BAG*

3 comments:

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Oh wow! I never even thought of the ban at other stores other than grocery stores. That just seems weird, for some reason. Hmmm.
I think LA City has banned grocery bags but I don't think other ones. I don't think LA county has yet, or at least my grocery store hasn't. I use my grocery bags for TONS of stuff. I'll be sad when they are banned, especially since I can't EVER remember to bring my reusable ones in to the store with me.

Dana said...

Huh. You're right. That makes no sense. Maybe you should alert your local media. A reporter might be able to get some answers.

Let us know what you find out.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love that you were green before it was cool. :)
I would think that they would regulate the fast food places to use paper at least....and perhaps the dept stores should start charging for bags?
I bring mine to the mall/dept stores. In reality, they are easier to carry anyway. Plus, I'm cool like that.