Sunday, May 27, 2012

Happy 75th Birthday!


We were there when you turned 50. We made it almost to your south tower and then we were unable to get any further....your party was so big that those going north came head on with those going south and it was gridlock! You flattened out under our weight and the police told everyone to leave...but the party goers did not listen...for hours we stayed hoping to get across you.

This year, the party planners did not close you so we could walk across...they planned fireworks instead. So tonight we went back, just like we did 25 years ago...only our 3 month old baby is now 25 years old! And we took a tour...and it was an awesome night.


Tonight before our tour.



Workers were getting the flood lights ready for tomorrow's celebration. It was so cool to see the lights reflect off the fog...and we were able to see the bridge's shadow on the fog.




This is from my photo album of May 1987...we were packed tightly into this group....going no where!

Ali was wide awake...I remember someone saying, "Who would bring a baby here?!" We did silly! No one expected a crowd like this an hour before the walk began!


This guy had to hold his bike above his head to make his way through the crowd. there was also another guy riding his bike with his cat on his back...the photo is a little blurry.

After an hour or so of going no where, we headed back to our car about 2 miles away and went to breakfast.


June 1977 - I ran across the Golden Gate with my friend Matt...we had just graduated and we were checking out colleges to attend. Check out those cars....remember when every 5th car on the road was a VW Bug? And there is a small curb with a 3' drop and that is it separating the sidewalk from cars....there is a railing now.

Over the years I have driven, run, walked, biked over and sailed under the Golden Gate. She is beautiful, windy, intriguing and has a rich history.


*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOLDEN GATE!*

5 comments:

Dana said...

Great pictures!

Maybe someday I'll get to see the bridge for myself. :)

ChiTown Girl said...

You are one hell of an amazing woman.

Shrinky said...

Oh my, what a beautiful relationship you have with this Gate, the landmarks you've shared together..! I love these photo's, such a feel good post (smile).

Busy Bee Suz said...

How awesome for you to be a part of something so big, so vast and rich in history.
LOVE LOVE the photos!!!

Unknown said...

I love getting an education when I come to visit. This was absolutely fascinating. I am glad you live so close to such an iconic piece of America : )