Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Whose wedding was it anyways?

My parents were married right after the war....WWII. My mom's parents were immigrants just trying to make it with 8 kids. My parents got dressed in suits and went to the church and got married. And had a party afterwards. I still have a piece of note paper with the donations from friends at work...$1 and $2 were donated from the workers at Lyon Metal where they worked in Chicago Heights. (Yes, my mom was a Rosie the Riveter!)

My oldest sister eloped. My next sister eloped. I did not....so that was the wedding my mom had dreamed of...and boy was it her way. I did choose this dress that I fell in love with...
(...and this is me in it tonight...I put it on every anniv...)

But after that it was all my mom. The church....I wanted a park- outdoors...I wanted a hat- those are for second weddings she said- I totally got railroaded...but my mom was happy. And I learned that when my own girls get married we will do what they want as long as it is within reason....and as for my dress...that I L-O-V-E-D way back... it is now the most hideous!

Tonight we had a nice dinner to celebrate #30...
and we went to dinner where we wanted, wore what we wanted, ate what we wanted...and of course paid for it ourselves.

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*CELEBRATE 30*

7 comments:

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

I am SOOOOO impressed that you still fit into your wedding dress. That is so great. Happy Anniversary Marey!

Dana said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! :)

Wendy said...

My mother made my wedding dress, but it's sooooooooo 1973 that there's no way my daughters would want to wear it.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am so envious that you can wear your wedding dress still....that is really cool. Damn. I should start running and riding my bike. :)
Happy anniversary...and I think you did a good thing letting your mom plan it all for you!
xo

Tracy said...

WOW, you still fit in your wedding dress? That is wonderful! and Happy Anniversary....

Natalie said...

Congrats! Love the last line :)

Unknown said...

You look incredible in that dress. I mean, the dress itself leaves a little to be desired...but you look SO tiny. I guess I will keep loving you even though you are skinny! : ) Love, your fattest friend, Becky