Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When was the last time you saw one of these?

Today I showed the "Little Red Hen" film, circa 1950.
(Photo from Fallingpixel.com)

There's nothing like pulling out the projector and amazing the kindergartners.

This is what I saw movies on in classes all throughout school. The original BIG SCREEN. In fact, in my credential program I had to take a class to learn to thread these contraptions...and work a slide projector and an overhead and opaque projector.

When I was in school the teacher would send a boy or two to get the projector and then allow a boy to thread the projector and run it. I was always envious...I would love to run that thing! Perhaps that is why I became a teacher?

So now I bring the projector out once a year and show my old films....I really should take the films down to Costco and have them made into DVDs...but then what would I do with the projector?

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*WATCH A FILM*

7 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Oh my God, I was dying reading this!! I absolutely took the SAME class to learn to use all those things. How funny!! I was one of the A/V kids in grade school, so it was my job to go to the A/V room and get the projector or film strip projector for the teacher, and then put it away. And, you're so right, it WAS usually a boy who got to thread the darn thing!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

I LOVE this! I clearly remember them in elementary school. The flap, flap, flap sound is unique. How neat your kids get to see some history right there in the classroom. I felt that way about the record player I finally got rid of last year. It is hard to store that old stuff in addition the to the new.

Natalie said...

We were just talking about the reel to reel projectors the other day and trying to explain them to the boys! And filmstrips. Don't forget about filmstrips.

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

Wow...I vaguely remember that thing. I'm in the process of transferring VHS tapes to DVDs and it takes awhile. But, I'm afraid if we don't do it soon, the equipment (VCR) will be obsolete soon, and I'll lose the film forever.

Wendy said...

Oh yes, I took Methods & Materials in college -- learned to thread a film projector as well as movie projector, make mimeograph copies, use an opaque projector, and set up slides. Sigh ~

Busy Bee Suz said...

I remember those too....so cool.
I think you would mystify plenty of teenagers with it as well.

Unknown said...

I didn't get to watch those in school. Either they weren't around any more or my school was too poor to have one. : ) Darn it! I do remember missionaries coming to church and showing us slideshows. That was fun! I used to get so bored when they would preach and I would just cross my fingers that they would show a slideshow so I could see where they were from and who they were helping.