Friday, June 15, 2012

County Fair...

Wednesday The Captain and I rode our bikes to the local county fair...it was just a short 5 mile ride...but when we got there, there was no place to park bikes...interesting for a county going green. The website listed driving directions, bus, train and BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit...a mini subway/train system,) directions but no bike routes...and there was construction blocking an entrance.

But we made it....we parked between a tree and a pole in the employee parking lot right in front of a police truck. There has been an increase in bike thefts in this county.

The fair has always been a summer adventure for my kids and I if we weren't on vacation. I never got to linger much with kids in tow. I love to look at the quilts and photographs and of course the animals. Yesterday was fun....we spent most of the time looking at the exhibits...and talking to the 6 families of former students that I have taught over the years. And we ate...a delicious BBQ chicken lunch that we split...and I got kettle corn and The Captain a dipped cone.

There was a special section on cartoons...with photos, history, a Disney area with how films were made way back and 3 very old TVs with cartoons playing.
Here are two of my favorite quilts...there were so many beautiful, interesting designs.



I have always wanted to make a double wedding ring quilt. I have the pattern that I bought years ago...now it's just finding time now that I have a room to work in.

And there were the collections. I always say that "next year" I will put my wind up toys in the fair...but this year I found out what I need to do to enter- SO, "next year" it is!

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*VISIT YOUR COUNTY FAIR*

6 comments:

Linda King said...

I would love to be able to make quilts - I love them and as yet haven't invested in one. No time with all the writing!

Dana said...

I also would love to make quilts, but I don't think there's much hope of that since I can barely sew on a button. :)

ChiTown Girl said...

I my gosh, I think that's the exact console television we had! Actually, when we first got married, my grandma gave us hers, and we had it in our bedroom at our first apartment, and then later in the basement of this house. Man, things were really made to last back then, huh? Not like the disposable crap they crank out these days.

Unknown said...

I do a little quilting even though I can't really sew my way out of a paper bag. It's a lot of fun. Is agree, I wish there were more bike racks around but a tree always works.

Busy Bee Suz said...

The wind up toys would be a big hit.
I think I had that TV as a kid! The flag quilt is gorgeous too....good luck with starting a new project. IF anyone can do it, it's you!

Gberger said...

Beautiful quilts! I wish I knew how to sew that well.