Monday, April 7, 2014

G is for

Girls!

My classroom pets for the past 27 years have been rats. They are the nicest pets and that allow small children to hold them, come when you make a kissy sound and they love my dog....who licks them and cuddles with them.


So this week we said Goodbye to Ratman who was three years old and was worn out. Rats live about 2 years before they get a tumor and usually I take them to the animal Shelter and have them put down. More rats than I can count are buried in my yard alongside a few cats and the dog.


Yesterday The Captain and I went to Pet Smart and bought the girls above. They remain nameless until tomorrow when the second graders vote on new names. They are sweet and skittish and soooo happy to have fresh food for the first time. Tomatoes and carrots are their favorites so far...and also a little lettuce and bread bits.





*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH
HARDER*LOVE A RAT OR TWO*

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh GIRLS -- I was momentarily confused thinking "G is for hamster??" Can't wait to hear the names.

Anonymous said...

I remember when my daughter helped naming her class pets. She loved it! I'm so sorry about Ratman…poor fella. Glad he had a good life with the kids.

Elsie
AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

Unknown said...

Oh, my brother loved his rats. I think their short lifespan took a toll on him, though. Too many goodbyes. He's graduated to collecting dogs. Lucky rats and lucky second graders! :D

ViolaFury said...

Hi! I dropped over with the A-to-Z Challenge as a minion of #teamDamyanti and am so glad I did! My aunt had a pet rat named Snoopy that rode around on her shoulder for years when I was a kid. They are so wonderful and smart! I can't wait to hear what the kids come up with for names! Mary aka Viola Fury, on Twitter @ViolaFury http://www.homelesschroniclesintampa.blogspot.com

Glenda Funk said...

I've never had a classroom pet, but my school use to have a taxidermy program (until the instructor retired). He required students to hunt and gather their own specimens. It's a far stretch from 2nd grade and young children who care for rats. via A to Z Challenge

Jeanette said...

They are very cute!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise that Rats have such a short lifespan - you must have had a lot over the years. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I also didn't realize they didn't live that long. I'll admit, your girls are kinda cute.
XO