Sunday, April 27, 2014

W

W is for worms...
and we don't say "Ewwwww,"

The newest babies have hatched in second grade...see those ity-bity black things on the white cocoon? They are Silk "worms," which we know are not worms but caterpillars....but silk caterpillars just doesn't sound right. I should have put a penny in the photo for scale but I noticed that they hatched right as I was leaving on Friday...so I had to run out and pull leaves and fruit from the Mulberry tree and my new Mulberry bush, both of which just began putting out leaves. The "worms" are the size of a eyelash, They will eat and eat and eat for about a month and then spin a cocoon of silk. It really is a fascinating process. 

I have ordered duck eggs to incubate. They were set to arrive on Thursday and then I realized that they would hatch when I was in Colorado for BIG Foot's graduation. I hope they are able to change the mail date for the following week!


*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*
LAUGH HARDER*ENJOY THE 
CIRCLE OF LIFE*

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Yes, we do saw ewww. And that is why YOU can teach elementary school but I never could.