So this afternoon after my workout, The Captain and I stopped at the grocery store for salad items for dinner. I saw two boys with their dad who was pushing the cart. The younger boy around 10, did a few fake punches to the dad's face...but got a little too close for comfort. I watched the dad stop, lean down and very quietly talk to his son. He did not change his facial expression and no one in the store knew he was reprimanding his son.
What a great learning experience for his son....he was told NOT to do what he had done and he was NOT humiliated by the talking to from his dad. When I doubled back for milk on my return back to The Captain in another aisle, I passed that same dad. The boys were ahead of him and I nodded to the dad and in a low voice I commended him on his parenting.
His comment: Thanks. Mom is out of town for 10 days....we are half way though and my patience is running low.
Too often we see parents so stressed out, embarrassed or otherwise, yell at their children or instead of talking just give them a smack...kids can't learn if treated that way.
What did you learn today?
*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*LEARN A LOT*
3 comments:
Shopping with kids in tow is a real test of parenting skills.
I commend him for his patience! It always bothers me to see people yelling at their kids..even though I probably yelled at mine when they were younger!
Kudos to that Dad! I love to hear stories like that. Wait... now that I think about it, in all my years, I don't believe I ever heard my father yell... at me or anyone. It's funny but, I never even realized it until this very moment. Okay, what I learned today is, I'm going to call my father and tell him how much I love him and thank him for that. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog. Have an awesome day... :)
Post a Comment