| All but me at the trail head. |
We left the trail head parking lot at 10:10...p.m.....it was about 78 degrees. We hiked throughout the night under the pitch black sky covered with millions of stars. The waxing half moon had long set and it was just us on the trail....and the critters that Daughter #2 spotted: a scorpion, a millipede, a white frog, ants (yes a night!) and a deer...which was my joke "Look! A deer in the headlamps!" A ranger in the parking lot told us that there has been a lot of bear activity but we did not see any...although I am sure they saw us.
The hike was easier than last year as I was fresh- I didn't ride my bike 62 miles that day, so I wasn't left in the dust when we took off....although one of our friends was rather slow. We did not get our hour's nap before the ascent.
| The sky was just beginning to light up as we got to the saddle. |
This was The Captain's first time and after climbing the 800+ granite stairs to the saddle where you get your first glimpse of the cables, he saw what I had described and our friend said, "I can't do that!" But after a short rest and a drink of water and seeing daughter #1 say, "I going," and then scamper right up to the top he was willing to try. I followed Daughter #1 and Daughter #2 who is afraid of heights was right behind me. This time I self assured and ready for the adventure. I was able to take in the views and not panic but your life is literally in your own hands...you let go and it is a L>O>N>G way to the bottom. I wore my Garmin and timed the climb...15 minutes! It is a 30 minute average ascent so I felt good about that. I did not fear my hands or feet slipping this time so I was able to enjoy the view....last time I kept thinking, "If I fall from here I am dead" and then as I neared the bottom I thought, "Well if I fall from here I wouldn't die but I'd be really messed up." This time it was all fun!
| The Captain and our friend making it to the top. |
| See that little spot on the mountain? Below that is the parking lot where we have to hike to! |
5 comments:
I visited Yosemite for the first time last summer but did not attempt the Half Dome hike. I'm clumsy and afraid of hikes. Not a good combo. The stairs up to Vernal Falls freaked me out enough! I hope you share these adventures w/ your students so they'll be inspired to reach new heights!
Your daughter is amazing. I love how people who have faced the ultimate challenge meet life head on and truly live life out loud.
Wow! Good for you! I got scared just looking at your pictures!!
Oh wow! What amazing views. I'd want to do it for that, but I'd be scared scared scared. Thanks for sharing your experience.
gorgeous photos. We visited Yosemite but didn't see it as you did! I"m jealous. Gail
Post a Comment