Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for Daffodil...

...not necessarily my favorite flower in the flower bed...but the only flower in the flower bed that the deer won't eat! The tulips are gone and they were magnificent....until eaten...as will be the roses right as the buds open.....gulp!


D is also for disrespectful deer!

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*ENJOYING MY WEEK OFF FOR SPRING BREAK*

11 comments:

Glorygarden@msn.com said...

UGH! Do not mention deer! Yes, daffies are the best for the no-deer-chocolate quality they have. Try potting your tulips and only allow them on the porch or balcony? I fence mine in! LOL

Anne Duguid said...

One of my favorite flowers. Spent part of a country walk last week teaching the word to a Japanese friend who was enchanted by them.

Jennifer Whedon said...

Stopping by from the A to Z challenge!

frumpytofabreviews.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

Darn those deer. I would cry if a wild critter ate my flowers.

Anonymous said...

Only two of mine bloomed this year. Yours are very pretty indeed:)

Wendy said...

Daffodils are so resilient. I thinned mine one year and decided just to toss the excess over the fence. They've grown and bloomed every year and I didn't even plant them -- just threw 'em in the ditch.

Kristen said...

Ah, love the daffodils! You are obviously not in Montana where we're a good month away from any real flowers blooming. So for now I'll live vicariously through your delightful daffodils! Welcome aboard the Blogging from A to Z Challenge!

Michelle Jones said...

If you sprayed mace on the roses, would it kill them? Because it certainly would ward off a deer or two, haha. I noticed that your profile says you are trying to move on from the cancer talk, but I hope you'll still include a little about it in the a to z series. It must be a huge part of who you are now.

Kayla Yow said...

Aw! So sorry that your flowers are being eaten by deer. The daffodils are lovely, though!

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow A-Z'er! My daffodils are coming up, too! There are a couple things you can try to help the deer find other places to eat. First, you can try tying little bags of hair (human hair...try a barber shop or salon) near your plants. The deer won't want to get that close to human smell. If that doesn't work you can go to your nearest store with hunting supplies (walmart carries that stuff) and pick up a bottle of Fox Urine. Sprinkle that around. It won't hurt the plants and they won't want to go near there either. You can also, if you have a woodstove, or know someone who does, sprinkle the wood ash over your plants first thing in the morning while still dew-covered. The deer will go to eat it and get a big mouthful of ash. They REALLY hate that. I know this one works best for me.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love daffodils...they are so pretty.
Poor deer, they have limited pickings to dine on. :)