Monday, April 9, 2012

H is for Heartbroken

If you are a longtime reader of mine, you know that I put my heart and soul into teaching. Last school year was very difficult and I moved to a new school. And it has been a very good year. But my heart is at my old school where I taught kindergarten for 14 years. Where I had a giant classroom that I built 18" cubbies in, and with parent's help built a huge garden, where we rode trikes on the playground and dug in the dirt with real shovels. Where kids got to play like they did 50 years ago at recess.

Well today I took the pets up to my new school since spring break is over... and I saw that the silk worms had hatched! Yahoo! Won't my kinders be excited tomorrow! So I drove to my old school to dig up my mulberry bush- my $50 mulberry bush. When I got there I stopped short- and wanted to cry! Right where my playground and beautiful garden were there was a new foundation for a classroom! The construction began this week. Gone was my garden and play area. I am sad that next year's kinders, 75 of them, plus 15 per K's will have one tiny play area- no place to ride trikes or dig. No butterfly garden full of sages and milkweed to set the butterflies free when they emerge from the pupas...and no where to dig for earthworms and treasure. I am so sad...Heartbroken to say the least. I was on the committee for the re-modernization and there was not a planned classroom there. I will go have a good cry now.

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*PLANT A NEW GARDEN AND BEGIN AGAIN*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad for you. I'm only new to teaching, but I can imagine after all that hard work it must be upsetting to see it gone. Doubly so when the next lot of little ones have nowhere to do all that fun stuff. I miss the outdoor space and time at my last school too, in my current school there's lots of good stuff, but very little time for outdoor play.

Wendy said...

Yep, I'd be heartbroken too. I can tell you made learning a lot of fun.

Dana said...

That's so sad. I would be heartbroken, too.

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Sew Alluring. I'm sad to hear about your garden being gone. Hopefully your letter I will be for a happier story!

DL Hammons said...

I'm sorry for you...and those Kinders! :(

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Argh! I'm sorry! I'm so happy to hear that you are happy at your new school though and that your ks have silkworms!!!

Natalie said...

My mom laments the day that kindergarten became less about playtime and socialization and more about work. Just another example. booooo.