Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Vanity...as in plates...

When we lived in San Diego I ordered vanity plates for the Captain for his 21st birthday. He drove a'69 VW Bug (that is sitting in our garage to this day,) and I thought plates would be cool. I filled out the paperwork and sent in a check for $25. Weeks later he received a reply- "SORRY 'GNEISS 69 IS INAPPROPRIATE'.

Gneiss is a metamorphic rock- the Captain was a Geology major...apparently the officials thought 69 was crude...it's not like we pulled that number out of the air....it's a 1969 car!

The Captain never bothered to refute. In 1983- when the unemployment rate was as high as it is today- we moved our poor unemployed selves to UT. I was pleased to find out that vanity plates were $15 and a one time charge!! Unlike CA where you pay year after year and only a fraction of the money goes to a cause that supports the plate. The only drawback was the plates only held 6 characters...but MAREY was not taken- I claimed it immediately. It was on the VW when Coppertone paid us to drive the car around like a billboard.





My friend moved to UT shortly after...she was amazed that everyone said, "Oh My Heck" as a swear word.....her vanity plate said, "O MY HEK!"
The Captain and I began collecting license plates...and they all hang in my laundry room-  and we try to get one from each state or country we travel to......one year while in UT I bought this cool fabric and made curtains for my laundry room....







Remember when CA gave these out each January....when everyone in the entire state's license fees for the year were due?


If you remember that you are at least my age....they were mini plates to put on your key ring....in case you lost your keys.....but what they didn't count on were dishonest folks who found your keys and then searched for a car with matching plates....and drove it away!!- I used to use these little plates with my Barbies....(they made cool 8 track tapes!)

What would your plate be? Or if you have one...what is it?



*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*
LAUGH HARDER*L84WRK*

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I like your collection. At midlife my husband decided he wanted a stripped-down Jeep to play with. I wanted to get him a vanity plate saying Crisis55 but he wouldn't go for it. Party pooper.

Unknown said...

If I had a vanity plate, it would be "run2knit".

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I'd have but my step dad has always wanted one that says HOG!

Tracy said...

M-that is a fun post...great idea! We see them and always try to figure out what they are saying :)

ChiTown Girl said...

Hey, do you need Illinois plates? I have some if you want them :)

Natalie said...

Eamonn gave me plates that said ROONTOO as a wedding gift! Had them until we moved to CO.

Unknown said...

Great post. I used to have California vanity plates. After I calculated how much I paid over TEN years, I gave them back. It only makes sense that at some point they should be paid for. Go Utah!

ScribblesFromJenn
Happy A to Z-ing!