Each spring I bring out a cocoon out of the refrigerator from the previous school year. A cocoon that a female moth laid her eggs on...and in a few weeks, those very tiny black caterpillars hatch.
...and they eat and eat and eat all the mulberry leaves I can pick. Then they begin to spin....and hatch....
...and around and around it goes...year after year. I now have white and yellow silk worms....and I even have had some caterpillars that have made it out of their box and across the room to spin...which is unheard of....and even weirder...I have had moths that fly!! The silkworm has long been domesticated and I think all my interbreeding has turned up a few fliers!!
LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH
HARDER*RAISE SOME SILK*
...hopefully chicks hatch next Wednesday...here is one candled egg....you can see the air space...but if you look carefully you can see a chick! I do believe the goose eggs aren't fertile :(


6 comments:
How fun! I bet the kids love to watch those catepillars spin. :-) Funny about the fliers. Have a great day!
Just wanted to let you know the link on my blog has been fixed. Thanks for letting me know it wasn't working.
That is awesome...I used to collect silk worms when I was young. Thanks for sharing!
The kids must love them! (I have to say I'm more partial to the chicks than the worms, though!)
I'm sorry -- I can't love this. eww :-)
Cool. I didn't know you could keep silk worms in a house like that.
{ami}
http://sundrysumthins.wordpress.com/
Post a Comment