Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Just Ducky

J is for just...as in just Ducky....as in today. I don't have time to be clever, so today's post is Just what it is....I drove out 30 miles out to the coast then inland to pick up the chick and duck eggs for our kindergarten classes to incubate. (I is for I should have used incubate for yesterday's I post.) But when I got to the ranch the woman had no recollection of my 3 messages or my order...and told me to come back next week. Which is impossible- I had two incubators in my room alone that were running for 24 hours - all primed, along with 3 kindergarten classes waiting for DUCK and CHICK eggs tomorrow.

I left the ranch with Just 2 goose eggs and headed to the feed store for a dozen and a half chick eggs. Just that the feed store's hatch rate is a much lower percentage than the ranch. Just saying...I had to go with what was available.

So in 21 days we may or may not have chicks and in 28-30 days I may have a goose...or whatever is just inside those 2 huge eggs! I will candle them in 4 days to see if any are fertile.

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*
LAUGH HARDER*JUST INCUBATE
WHAT YOU CAN*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

fingers crossed for you! We couldn't get an incubator to school to hatch there, but I had a friend who raised ducks (do you raise them? breed them? whatever - he had ducks!) and luckily had some newly hatched ducklings that were old enough to come in a box with me for the morning. We went to assembly. And one of them went walk about. It was hilarious - me, two other teachers and 30 kids scrambling round trying to catch a duck! we got it home safe and sound though! Also, I hope you don't mind, but I'm 'borrowing your j for just' - I've spent the day trying to think of a j is for that isn't jam (pitfalls of teaching little bods!)

Jack Edwards Poetry said...

Hope it goes well and that the large eggs aren't velociraptors lol

All the best,
Jack

http://jackedwardspoetry.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

Happy hatching!

Cindy Dwyer said...

How exciting to get a sneak peek into the eggs!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you teach the children : )