Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for... From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

This is one of my all time favorites...as a child, I imagined myself living in a museum just like Claudia and Jamie did...but not until two summers ago did I actually visit the Met in New York. If you don't know of this book, it was written in 1967, and won the Newberry Award...and was chosen by teachers as one of the top 100 children's books.
I will read this book to my second graders next year, the same as I did introducing them to Henry Huggins books this year. Books that go back to a simpler time- before cell phones, Wii, iPads and missing children on milk cartons. These two runaways solve a mystery- live in a museum without being detected and manage to meet the beloved Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler in the end....and get a ride home in her limo. This is a quick read for adults and one enjoyable book to read to children who are ready for chapter books but not quite at that reading level. This is also a good read for 3rd or 4th graders to compare and contrast to living in the 21st century.

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*ENJOYING MY LAST DAY OF SPRINGBREAK IN THE SAN DIEGO SUNSHINE*

8 comments:

DL Hammons said...

Never heard of it. Thanks for the recommendation though! :)

Dana said...

Oh, yes! I love this book! I'm looking forward to introducing it to my kids.

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

OMG one of my favorite books EVER!!!!!!!!! no really. EVER!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

dishitd said...

Never knew about this. Thanks for mentioning it!

- Dishit from Only the Crazy Survive!!!

Unknown said...

I will have to look for this one. One of my favorites growing up was Danny Dunn and Homework machine. I still have my copy.
Connie
A to Z buddy
Peanut Butter and Whine

Unknown said...

Wow, I hadn't heard of this book before today! That definitely sounds like something I'd read to my students as well, I love museums! Nice post and looking forward to more!

AtoZChallenge blogger www.katkatravels.com

Wendy said...

This book sounds like it would make any future visit to a museum much more exciting.

Natalie said...

I can't believe I never read this book. Summer is my time for catching up on juvenile fiction I missed! I do however love Henry Huggins and anything by Beverly Cleary. So nostaglic! The boys love them, too. And Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, which I always think of those all together :)