Tuesday, April 16, 2013

O is for

Opal....my favorite book! 




 Although not a children's book, it is a book about a child, reconstructed from her diary which was written on scraps of paper. It was begins just prior to 1900...she was an adopted child, most likely orphaned by immigrant parents. She grew up in the lumber camps of early Oregon. As a teacher, her early writing touches my heart. For anyone studying history, it is an insight from a child's perspective. Opal loved animals and life but her enthusiasm was squashed by "the mama." She thoughtfully writes of "Angel Mama" and "Angel Father," in sad snippets throughout the story.

It is a book for non-fiction lovers, U.S. History lovers and teachers of young children.

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*READ A FUN BOOK*

3 comments:

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

I've never heard of this book but will check it out. Sounds like something I would love!

Dana said...

Sounds fascinating! My dad was a logger, and I love reading anything even remotely related. :)

Wendy said...

Sounds very sweet. I'm recommending this to a blogging friend who lives in Oregon and descends from loggers (probably everyone in Oregon does, don't you think???).