Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H is for Henry Huggins...

Before I was born, Beverly Cleary began writing about Henry Huggins and his friends...in 1950 or so, when she was a librarian, a boy asked her, "where are the books about kids like us?" That sparked her to write the series of Henry books.


I remember my 4th grade teacher reading these books to the class after lunch. I read a few with my own children, but my class this year LOVES Henry. They don't quite get the idea that Henry buys gum for 1 cent, feeds his dog Ribsy horse meat from the pet store and that Henry's parents can't afford a new bicycle for him. Henry doesn't dare talk back to his mother, even when he is right, and he gets in trouble for simple things that would never happen these days.

One assignment in my class this year was to write to an author. So far, 6 have returned letters- and I am impressed that only one was a form letter and the others are hand written postcards. As a class, we wrote to Beverly Cleary, who is 97 years old and living on the coast of CA. The letters were returned from the publisher...I have to find a way to get them to her- I know she would love to hear what my students have to say.

Do you remember reading any Beverly Cleary books? Do you remember Henry's paper route, the milkman or how Henry acquired Ribsy?
 
*LIVESTRONG*LOVEASTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*REREAD A KIDS' BOOK*

10 comments:

Cynthia said...

Beverly Cleary is one of my all-time favorite children's book authors. I enjoyed reading about Henry Higgins, but it was the Ramona stories that really sucked me in. Sometimes those two characters intersect. I seem to recall there was one chapter where Ramona tells Henry Higgins that they'd get married someday.

Jolie du Pre said...

I don't remember if I read Cleary or not. By the way, I am super impressed with your exercise routines. It's nice to meet a fellow person interested in exercise. I run, weight lift, do Pilates, do yoga, pole dance for fitness, and do ballet.

Dana said...

Beverly Cleary is my favorite children's author. Henry Huggins is great—and Ramona, too. I think my kids will love these stories as much as I did, and I know I'll love rereading them.

Happy Tuesday!

Shannon @I Survived and Now I Run said...

A great author...Thanks so much for sharing...I hope you are able to locate her and deliver those letters.

http://runningsurvivor.blogspot.com/2013/04/h-is-forheart-rate-monitors.html

Wendy said...

I never read them as a kid, that I recall, but the Ramona story is certainly one I read with my girls at some point but that memory is fading too.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Ramona is my favorite character of Beverly Cleary's. I have yet to read the Henry Huggins series. It's about time. I read a couple of Homer Price books a few years ago and enjoyed them a lot. Hope you're able to get through to Ms. Cleary.

A to Zing at
Take 25 to Hollister
Don't be a Hippie

Cindy Dwyer said...

I remember my daughter reading Beverly Cleary not that long ago...

Cindy Dwyer said...

I remember my daughter reading Beverly Cleary not that long ago...

Unknown said...

Wonderful subject! Just stopping by for the A-Z Challenge. Please check us out and sign up to follow if you like what you see. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

Unknown said...

Ramona - that's the character I remember most clearly. Ramona and Beezus and Ramona Quimby, age 8. I still remember the stories vividly. They left quite the impression. And Henry WAS in the Ramona books - he was one of Beezus' friends. I remember Ramona patting Ribsy at one point and the worm ring - I think that's when she shouted she would marry Henry.

Cath from Dramatics and Words