Saturday, April 13, 2013

L is for ....

Little House on the Prairie....
I have always loved non fiction- in elementary school I read every biography in the school library...and I had always wanted to travel in covered wagons. When I read my first book by Laura Ingalls Wilder I was in love! I read the series. One year when I was teaching 3rd grade, I had a class that loved silent reading time. I re-read the books and passed them from student to student. Even the boys got on board reading Farmer Boy. When I read these books with my own children I discovered books that Wilder had written for adults also- Letters from Home and The Road Back...basically all the little things young readers should not know...her baby's death, discovering a book meant for Santa to bring, etc.

Reading these books brings appreciation of what life was like for our ancestors and how thankful we should be for all the comforts we have. Life was hard-but life was celebrated with small bits of luck and love.

For my few followers of my regular non- A-Z blogging, below is my SMAC out Cancer Site for my Teenaged Cancer SURVIVING Daughter and I. We will be Swimming Across America on May 19!

CLICK HERE

*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*READ A GOOD BOOK*

9 comments:

Tracy Jo said...

I used to love watching Little House. You are right, such good stores and lessons. Love the sentence...life was celebrated with small bits of love & luck. :-) Happy weekend!

Dana said...

Love these books! Have a great weekend. :)

Unknown said...

Absolutely loved those books. Just seeing the cover again made me smile.

Good luck on your swim - I can barely make it across a pool.

Busy Bee Suz said...

You are such a freaking rock star.....GO YOU!!! And I mean that in a big way. Go you!
I love those books....such a sweet and timeless story of life.
XO

Jen HaHA said...

I used to watch Little House on the Prairie with my grandparents. I'll have to check out her adult books!

Come check out my A to Z! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

KC Weldon said...

Somehow I managed to make it through school without having to read Little House on the Prairie. Next time I'm desperate for something to read, I'll have to check them out.

KC @ The Occasional Adventures of a Hermit & Oh Frog It

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I was hooked on which brother Laura would choose. I was very disappointed when the TV series didn't pursue that story line.

I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can pick it up and read all about it at my blog, Don't be a Hippie. Here's the direct link: A Sweetheart of an Award

Wendy said...

I'll check the site. Swimming across America sounds like the perfect challenge for you. I'm guessing it's miles right, not REALLY across America??? Although wouldn't that be an adventure?

Anonymous said...

I loved the two books in that series I read as a girl (Little House on the Prairie and Little House in the Big Woods) and when my son was young I read the whole series to him. As you note, he particularly liked Farmer Boy. (I wrote about it here: http://josna.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/177-the-sugar-snow/)
I'll look for the books she wrote for adults now--didn't know about them. Thanks!
Have fun with the rest of the Challenge.